Wednesday, February 08, 2006

ASE 2 feedback

Last week I had two shoots, and this week I'm reviewing the tapes and conferencing with the two students.

This is very, very time-consuming. I've had to view each shoot more than once (and that's 40 minutes of tape!) in order to get a sense of the session, and in order to pinpoint specific interactions for analysis. I'd say I've spent between three and four hours on each one, not counting the time it takes to do the shoot, nor the time it takes to conference.

It shouldn't take me this long. Problems?

1. Lack of preparation. Taking twenty to thirty minutes to prepare beforehand should save me hours later. If I show up early to the shoot, I can take my time setting up and chat with the instructor about what he expects from the session. By coming in late, I miss parts of the pre-lab lecture (most important part!) and don't have a clear understanding of what's going on and why.

2. Attentive viewing. I'd been running the video in the background while writing emails or reading. The excuse, of course, is that the video is long and boring. It is. But if I spent forty minutes paying close attention, taking lots of notes, and occasionally rewinding to re-view a specific interation, I might not have to do more than one viewing.

3. Bringing an assistant. Next week, an ASE assistant will accompany me on my shoots, so that I can take notes while she runs the camera. That should save me a considerable amount of time & energy.

4. Equipment check. Before going, I need to be certain to double-check that I have working earphones, so that I can hear the interactions as they occur. That was one of the problems with the first shoot-- the audio recorded fine, but I couldn't hear it while it was happening, so watching the video was really my first time to observe the teacher's interactions.

5. Transcription? For both of these sessions, I've prepared for conferencing by pinpointing about five minutes of interaction and transcribing them word-for-word. This is good for me because it forces me to focus very intensively on just a few moments, and it's good for the instructor because he can look over the transcript with me-- it's harder to discuss video, as it's happening in real-time. But it takes twenty to twenty-five minutes to transcribe five minutes of dialogue-- time-consuming! I'm not prepared to abandon transcription at this point, but eventually I need to come up with a more efficient way of analyzing video.

6. Practice! Let's face it, the more shoots I go on, the more times I analyze tape, the more times I conference, the easier it will be. I'll have a better sense, before-hand, of what I should be looking for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home